General leather care and precautions
To ensure the longevity and performance of your purchase, please look after your Fenner Benedict product(s) by taking note of the following:
1. Avoid getting your leather product wet as this may adversely affect the finish and colour fastness of the product and result in the leather stiffening and becoming brittle.
2. Extremes of temperature can damage leather therefore please keep your product(s) away from direct heat sources or very cold conditions.
3. Prolonged exposure to bright light, especially direct sunlight, can alter the colour over time and may also dry the leather. Exposure to direct sunlight should therefore be avoided.
4. Brass and other metal hardware is likely to develop a patina over time. Brass and some other types of metal hardware can be restored to the original colour using a dry jewellery polishing cloth. Liquid cleaning solutions may cause damage to the surrounding materials and should not be used.
5. Some types of leather can be more thoroughly cleaned and conditioned using leather care products as recommended in the table below. Fenner Benedict cannot be held accountable for any alterations to colours or finishes or damage to a product(s) resulting from the application of unapproved care products or for the incorrect application of any care product.
How to clean & condition your leather goods
|LEATHER TYPE||EXAMPLE PRODUCTS||RECOMMENDED PRODUCT & APPLICATION ADVICE|
|Please Note: The application of any leather care product may result in minor changes to the colour, tone or finish of the leather.|
|Full-grain dyed-through veg-tan cowhide||
'Explorer 3' notebook cover organiser
3-by-5 card holder jotter pad
Urban adventurer notebook cover
Renapur leather balsam - Apply sparingly with a soft clean cloth or sponge to grain side only to condition and clean leather. Leave to dry overnight before buffing away residue with a clean lint free cloth. Minor transfer of some colour to the cloth during application is normal.
Leather Honey Leather Conditioner applied as per instructions.
Gliptone GT13 conditioner & waterproofer - Apply sparingly to grain side only working product into leather with a lint free cloth or sponge. Leave to dry for 24 hours before resuming use of product.
|Full-grain natural finish veg-tan cowhide||'Explorer 3' (Natural)||Leather Honey Leather Conditioner - Condition by applying sparingly to grain side only with a clean cloth and work in the product evenly using circular motions. Leave to dry overnight before use. NOTE: Due to the unfinished nature of natural leather the application of any product is likely to result in a slight darkening of the leather.|
|Hand-dyed full-grain veg-tan leather: Oil dye finish||
'Rugged' & 'Rugged II' notebook covers.
Compact EDC card wallet (hand dyed finish)
|Grangers G-Wax natural beeswax protection - Apply product sparingly to grain side of leather working in well using a lint-free cloth. Wipe away excess product following application. Leave to dry for 24 hours before buffing away residue with a lint free cloth.|
|'Italian' leathers / pull-up finish leathers||
'VIP' notebook cover
compact pen wrap
artists 4-pocket pen roll
|Theses aniline leathers usually have no protective finish therefore regular conditioners must NOT be used. These leathers can be conditioned with a product suitable for aniline leathers and any product should be tested on an inconspicuous area first.|
|Horween chromexcel leathers||'Sylvan' range of notebook covers and accessories||Leather Honey Leather Conditioner applied as per instructions.|
|'eco' hand-dyed leathers using sustainable water-based dyes and finishes||'eco' range of notebook covers||Renapur leather balsam - Apply sparingly with a sponge to grain side only to condition and clean leather. To avoid 'lifting' dye do NOT over-work the product into dyed leathers. Leave to dry overnight before buffing away residue with a clean lint free cloth. Minor transfer of some colour to the sponge during application is normal.|
|Suede and Nubuck||Nubuck finish 'VIP' notebook cover||A suitable specialist cleaner and conditioner product is required such as KIWI Suede & Nubuck cleaner which is available as a aerosol spray (please follow safety precautions). Regular leather conditioners designed for smooth leathers should NOT be used.|
If you have any questions regarding caring for your Fenner Benedict product(s) please contact me and I will be happy to assist.